Linking to this Site
Links to sites managed and operated by J-DESC are free.
J-DESC is not responsible for the content of non-J-DESC sites such as those from which links are provided.
The individual information (text, images, video, etc.) on the website managed and operated by J-DESC is subject to copyright. This information may be used free of charge without obtaining permission from J-DESC, within the scope of academic research, educational activities, etc. (use in the course of classes at schools and other non-profit educational institutions, etc.) and private use as permitted by the Copyright Law. However, for commercial use, please contact us separately.
J-DESC does not guarantee nor is responsible for the adequacy or accuracy of the information on this site. J-DESC shall not be liable for any direct or indirect damages resulting from the use or inability to use the information on this site, or from the use of this site, for any reason whatsoever. J-DESC is not responsible for any direct or indirect damage or loss caused by the use or inability to use the information on this site. We shall not be liable for any direct or indirect damages resulting from changes in the information on this site, or from the suspension or discontinuation of its operation for any reason whatsoever.
1. Compliance with Laws and Regulations
J-DESC complies with the Japanese laws regarding the protection of personal information when handling personal information.
2. Scope of Application
4. Collection of Personal Information
5. Information to be Collected
Personal information collected include names, e-mail addresses, and other contact information that can be used to identify individuals, as well as non-personally identifiable information such as age, gender, country of residence, and demographic information on areas of expertise. In addition, passport information may be required for certain business activities. When accessing the J-DESC website, we also use the browser information (the browser used to access J-DESC and related websites), referrers (a record of which links take you to a certain URL), cookies (a function that keeps a record of access to J-DESC and related websites in your browser), and other information that may be used by J-DESC and related companies to improve their services. The IP addresses (which can determine the region from which the site is being accessed) may also be automatically collected.
6. Use of Personal Information
J-DESC uses personal information only to the extent necessary to achieve the following purposes:
- To conduct activities in accordance with the management objectives of J-DESC, such as collection of membership fees, election of officers, and activities of various committees.
- To implement and manage the research support program provided by J-DESC.
- To implement and manage symposia and events organized and co-sponsored by J-DESC.
- To collect and provide information for the promotion of Earth drilling science.
- To achieve other business purposes of J-DESC.
However, the personal information may be used or provided for other purposes in any of the following cases:
- In accordance with the provisions of laws and regulations
- When the individual concerned has given prior consent.
- When it is necessary for the protection of the life, body or property of an individual and it is difficult to obtain the consent of the individual.
- In cases where the provision of personal information is particularly necessary for improving public health or promoting the sound growth of children, and in which it is difficult to obtain the consent of the person.
- In cases where the handling of personal information is necessary for cooperating with a national agency, a local government, or an individual or entity entrusted by either a national agency or local government to execute affairs prescribed by the laws and regulations and in which obtaining the consent of the individual is likely to impede the execution of the relevant affairs.
7. Management of Personal Information
J-DESC strives to maintain accurate and up-to-date personal information in its possession and control, regardless of whether the information is held by members or non-members.
J-DESC will take appropriate security control measures to prevent the personal information it retains and manages from being leaked to outside parties, destroyed, tampered with, or lost, regardless of whether it is a member or non-member. In addition, J-DESC will establish procedures from problem recognition and notification to resolution in the unlikely event that a protection and management problem arises.
8. Personal Information Retention Period
The time for which there is a clear reason to retain personal information considering the purpose of J-DESC's activities or the applicable period of law. After this period, information will be erased or made unidentifiable.
9. Response to Requests for Disclosure, Correction, or Discontinuance of Use of Personal Information
J-DESC will respond promptly and appropriately to any requests that relate to disclosure, correction, or discontinuance of use of personal information held and managed by J-DESC in accordance to the laws and regulations, after confirming the identity of the requesting party.
- Disclosure of Information
When a person requests notification of the purpose of use of his/her personal information or disclosure of his/her personal information, J-DESC will promptly notify or disclose the information in accordance with the prescribed procedures. If we are unable to comply with the request, we will explain the reason.
- Correction, etc.
If there is a request for correction, addition, or deletion (hereinafter referred to as "correction, etc.") of the personal information of the person in question, J-DESC will comply with the prescribed procedures. If we are unable to comply with the request, we will explain the reason for not complying with the request.
- Suspension of Use, etc.
If a person requests the suspension of use, deletion, or cessation of provision to a third party of his/her personal information (hereinafter referred to as "suspension of use, etc."), J-DESC will promptly comply with the prescribed procedures. If we are unable to comply with the request, we will explain the reason for not complying with the request.