Workshop on the future of Scientific Ocean Drilling: Toward submission of drilling proposals for IODP3 – Phase 2 (18-20 Mar, 2024)
ECORD and Japan entities are finalising the launch of the International Ocean Drilling Programme – IODP³ (IODP-cubed) after 2024, open to international members and based on the implementation of mission-specific scientific drilling expeditions.
Following the online-only Phase-1 Workshop in January 2023, the Phase 2 Workshop will be held inperson (hybrid). The is aim to gather researchers representing promising drilling ideas that emerged during and after Phase-1 Workshop to present and discuss their scientific and operational plans to prepare for MSP and Chikyu drilling proposals to be submitted for IODP3. The Workshop is open to ~100 participants from any country.
Dates and location of the Phase 2 Workshop
18 – 20 March 2024
followed by a 2-day field trip
Nachikatsuura, Kii Peninsula
- 6 hours by train from Tokyo, 4 hours by train from Osaka.
- Far from major cities, aimed at fostering focused discussions(a retreat-like event).
- 3 full days of workshop and a 2-day field trip (either 1 day or 2 days), allowing ample time for discussions. Participants on site will require a full week.
- We plan to recommend several hotels within walking distance of the workshop venue, for each respective budget (TBD).
- Notable local geology includes Neogene accretionary prism, forearc basin, and plutonic rocks. The region’s designation as a Geopark and World Heritage site. Lovely in-house hot springs in some hotels.
- PMOs may provide support for travel expenses on a limited basis. (TBA)